Choosing The Man’s Wedding Ring
It used to be that the only consideration for a man’s wedding ring was what size it should be. A thin band of yellow gold was all that was required in the eyes of most men. Or, to put into a clearer perspective; a friend once recounted her experience of going shopping for a ring with her fiancé; when the jeweler asked him what type of ring he was looking for, his response was, “As narrow as possible.”
It often takes us guys a little (OK, a lot) longer than women to “get with the program,” and today most men are not averse to investing a little more time, thought, and money into an item that should be gracing their finger for many years to come.
Following are seven tips to keep in mind when choosing a man’s wedding ring that will hopefully make the selection process as simple as possible.
- Budget – It may be true that women may be the fairer sex and the more practical one also; however when it comes to anything wedding related they tend to lose this practicality. Therefore, before deciding which ring to buy, decide how much you are willing to spend on it and stick to it. If your fiancé wants you to spend more, tell her that you are saving for other wedding associated items.
- To Match or Not to Match? – Some couples like to have matching wedding rings. If that is what floats your boat, then fine, go for it. Before you decide that this is the way to go though, just be sure you know that it will greatly restrict the selection of rings on offer. Consequently, if you decide to go down this path, it is perhaps better to get a matching metal, stone, or feature than an actual “match match.”
- Durable and Comfortable – Not meaning to generalize, but as a general rule, a man’s wedding ring will take more of a beating than a woman’s, especially if you are involved in a more blue collar profession or like to be the home handyman. Be aware of this fact when looking for a ring so that it doesn’t have parts that protrude for example. Also, make sure it is comfortable and fits well because if you are always taking it off when you do things, chances are it will get lost.
- Research – Just as you are reading this article to get a “heads up” as to what to keep in mind when buying a wedding ring, use the Internet to do as much research as possible before pulling the trigger on exactly what you want to buy, whether it be an online or physical purchase. There is plenty of information out there; you just have to look for it.
- Reputation – Don’t buy your ring from just any jeweler. Even if you find exactly the same designer ring for different prices at different jewelers, you may not be comparing apples with apples. Check out their return policy, warranties, and reputation before deciding which ring really is “cheaper.”
- It’s Your Wedding Ring – Obviously you are going to get more than a little input from your fiancé on your ring choice, but ultimately it is your ring and you have to live with it. Having said this, it’s definitely not worth breaking up the engagement over a difference in opinions of rings, so keep everything in perspective when choosing the ring.
- Traditional or Metrosexual? – Choose a ring that suits your lifestyle and personality. If the traditional yellow gold wedding band does it for you, then go for it. However, if you want a fancy color diamond encrusted ring, that’s also fine. Whatever you choose, it will definitely be easier than what you went through to find your fiancé.